Thursday, October 21, 2010

Day 1 of First Vision

I began my art adventures today with a little work on what I am now calling First Vision, which is based on a photo of Antelope Canyon. It's been about four years since I attempted to paint a color landscape in acrylics, so I began the day a little nervous. I decided to try and combine what I learned from oil painting and my work with watercolors to help create this piece. So first I'm just putting in layers and trying to build up the forms, textures and shadows. I began by painting in a Ultramarine Blue wash over the Burnt Umber projection, focusing on darking and deepening the shadows. I then followed this with another wash of Burnt Umber to further the process. I then set the piece aside to get my work on Shine Over Mountains in, but later returned when I had my fill with that one. For round two of First Vision, I first repeated the washes of round one and then used varying washes and wash mixes of Brilliant Orange, Cad Yellow Hue, Burnt Sienna, and Light Red to really develop the forms, again just trying to get paint on the canvas to help build up the depth and mass. I finished off with washing back in some details and highlights with Titanium White.


No comments:

Post a Comment