Monday, October 18, 2010

First Vision Projection

I'm probably getting ahead of myself, especially with the hope of starting a job soon, but I started another painting today. I've been debating on what direction I wanted to take my art for the time being and finally made the decision by starting on this painting. What I plan to focus on now is using acrylics to paint a couple of images from photos I took in Antelope Canyon near Page, AZ, and maybe when I am finished I with these I will be ready to return to all those oil paintings.

I began today's work on the first of these new paintings by putting four layers of gesso on my canvas, a process that took a few hours due to having to allow for drying time in between layers. After getting the final gesso layer on the canvas I was ready to project the image. For the projection process I used a sepia toned print (to help me focus on just establishing the darks and contours) and painted with acrylic Burnt Umber using water to thin it. The image I am using is from the lower portion of Antelope Canyon and features a very strong sunbeam coming in. Given the color saturated nature of the original photo and the generally abstract nature of slot canyon forms, the finished product of this painting should be quite interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment